Late Night Treat: At first glance Bradley Hankey's latest series looks like a bunch of nicely filtered Instagram photos — but the scenes are actually realistic oil paintings on wood panels. For the series, Hankey traveled around Los Angeles taking minimalistic photographs and filtering them to give them that vintage feel, and then used that as the basis for his paintings. The series, aptly titled #instalite #losangeles, really makes for some killer summer vibes.
Weekend Wear: I’ve been browsing through some of the street style looks from the Paris Couture shows and this look really nailed it. I love that while a lot of people would normally pair a jumpsuit like this with heels, she kept it casual with some cool sneakers. It’s the perfect look for grabbing drinks with friends on a summer day.
White Out: Whites for summer is nothing new, but lately I’ve been seeing a lot of people on the street in amazing all white outfits that feel fresh and cool. I’m especially into the crisp white shirt dress, and currently on the hunt for the perfect one — this Topshop one is definitely a contender! In the meantime, white jeans and crop tops paired with some white sneakers seems like the perfect summer outfit to me.
TBT: I’m loving this way ahead of it’s time Vogue cover from 1938. I’m heading up to Montauk in the morning to chill out and watch some surfing, so this throw back couldn’t be more appropriate. It might even inspire me to get up on a board myself!
I’ve got a birthday coming up this Saturday, and while I’m a little scared to officially be in my “mid-20’s,” I’m excited to get away from the city on a little beach getaway. Even though I’ll be happy just being able to relax and enjoy the sun, I obviously have some things on my mind that I’d love to get. (Hi Mom, I know you’re reading this cough cough!) Here are some things I’ve been lusting after lately.
1. The Reformation Dove Dress - because I really want to be a #refbabe.
2. Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Camera - I’ve been trying to get back into film and this pocket-sized instant camera seems like the perfect option!
3. Baggu Leather Bucket Bag - I’ve been lusting after this bag since Christmas, it’s the perfect weekend bag!
4. A Denim Story: Inspirations from Bellbottoms to Boyfriends - Current/Elliott released this book a couple months back; it seems like the perfect inspiration for a blue-jean lover like me.
5. Helen Levi Gilded Eye Cup - Perfect for an air plant, which I also really want!
6. Crosley Cruiser Briefcase Portable Record Player - The record player I’ve had since high school broke recently, so I’ve been looking to replace it with something a little bit less bulky and easy-to-use like this Crosley one.
7. Karen Walker Anywhere Crazy Tort Sunnies - Because it’s summer and a girl could always use a new pair of sunglasses.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Lovell Flatforms - Cute shoes like these flatforms are always going to make it onto any wish list of mine because shoes, duh.
Late Night Treat: Every 20-something woman I know has had one of those nights where you would just much rather sit in bed binge-watching Netflix and eating anything and everything your little heart desires. We’ve all been there: telling our friends we’re busy when really we’re finishing the entire season of My So Called Life. It’s a ritual we all go through, and artist Lee Price captures it perfectly in her hyper-realistic paintings. The paintings feature self-portraits of Price in intimate settings with food that is considered indulgent or comforting. The paintings aim to show the relationship between women and food and the societal pressures that surround them — and they each capture the moment perfectly. Definitely check out more of the series over on Ignant.
Weekend Wear: Now that it’s officially summer, that sweltering city heat is taking over. I’m finally (finally!) getting AC installed in my apartment today, but for the outside world a breezy and cool outfit is needed. I love this outfit I saw over on Who What Wear for hotter days. It’s simple but still put together — perfect for a laid-back summer day.
Bring Back the Bandana: When I was 13 my #1 style icon was Lizzie McGuire. I think I most admired her hair accessories and tried to copy them as best I could. Scrunchies, glitter headbands, butterfly hair clips — I had them all. My favorite though, was the bandana. And not even a real bandana, but the ones you could buy at Claire’s that were basically just fabric triangles with two strings to make it look like you tied a real bandana around your head — the best fashion statement. Now that so many 90’s and early 00’s trends are back, it was only fitting that the bandana should make a comeback, and it seems like Band of Outsiders agrees from the looks of their resort collection. I really love this look for summer, it’s especially perfect for those humid days where your hair just won’t do anything you want it too. So a big thank you to BOO for officially bringing back my favorite trend — here’s to those little fake bandanas being sold again soon!
Late Night Treat: Kelly O’Connor’s work is psychedelic and totally awesome. I’m really loving the colorful paintings and sculptures she put together for her latest installation, Blinded by the Light, which you can get a virtual tour of over on her website.